17 June 2008

I FOUND It!!! Broken Arm X-Rays

A'las, I found it, no not the missing phones that are no where in any of the boxes they should have been. No, not the dvd remote controll which has everything on it and the actual player has only stop, play, eject, ff and rewind; so we can't explore anything on all of the dvd rentals we keep getting. No, it is not the very important People Papers packet that was misplaced the day the movers came. It is the cd ROM the fantastic orthopedic surgeon made for me of my arm and its crude bionic parts!!! Just click the "Read More," to see the lovely x-rays
I think this is one of the coolest things ever! Granted I don't think living with a broken arm is great but the whole medical side of it all is absolutely fascinating! So Dr. Sohrab Gollogly made a copy of it for me. I didn't have time to get my hands on a copy of the first x-ray at the hospital when it was still at an undisputed un-natural angle. I hope to get that soon... we shall see.
Anyway, I broke my arm on 13 January, and yes the sound of it still haunts me sometimes (just hold about 3/4 inch in diameter, bunch of uncooked spaghetti and brake it in half).




These pictures were taken in (correction) March, so the breaks are still fairly visible-- you can see them if you click on the picture, the full sized pic will open up. I opted for surgical correction instead of running around in a cast. After weighing the odds of me screwing up the healing of the arm and having to have the doctors at the new duty station re-break my arm to fix it; then because we were set to move in 30 weeks or so, and it would take 26 week for complete healing, I decided to go the fast track route. get it surgically corrected to get it right the first time. Well, after all was said and done, I found out that I don't have enough meat in my arm to protect my arm from the ulna side of the titanium plates, it needs to be removed, but only time will tell... fast forward to now, I have a good sized lump growing on the edge closest to my hand--the ulna side of the plates. The whole ulna plate is sensitive and any bumps and thumps cause deep bruising and fosters further growth of the lump that has become apparent. Now I am working to get seen by orthopedics, but because they are "swamped," or so the guy on the phone told me, I am forced to see a primary care physician, the physicians appointment desk thinks it is bull$%*! but their is nothing they can do but give me the earliest available appointment... which was exactly 30 days from the time I called. Beautiful. Now I wait and keep calling the appointment line every afternoon asking for any cancellations. There has been only one so now I can be seen instead of 2 July I am going to be seen on the 30 June. I don't really go to aikido anymore, training is getting more and more challenging with each thing that I add to the cannot do list. It really is disheartening, but I know it isn't forever and there is much to learn in this. Breaking my arm has allowed for more aikido to sink in. After being on the fast track since I started, it is well past my time for slowing down.

2 comments:

chris and karen said...

whoa bionic woman!! My bro can identify with ulnar pain--he's had cool titanium too, only still has problems now it's gone...I hope you have better luck!
-karen

Imperviouschild said...

Kareping?! It's really you and I had lost you in the scrolling of posts... I beg your forgivness, You are officially the second person to post to this place and that IS TOO COOL!!! Now I hope not to loose out on other commentary, since--in theory--I have corrected my settings for comment notification... I shall believe it when I get emailed of it.
Wow, your brother too? I just had mine removed on the 22nd July. I hope I have none or only 1/8th the problems I had with the titanium.