22 October 2008

Another One Bites the Dust!


WE DID IT; WE WON!!! That's me and one of my great team mates (I don't want to slaughter the spelling of her name) doing the illegal stiff arm in flag football. We were penalize for it when one of our team mates made a fantastic mad dash drawing us closer to the 18-0 win. Five minutes till half time, I made a play on the 3yrd line that helped our team score on the next play; yet it was during my little moment of glory when I realized: I am not wearing cleats and no you cannot really spin to protect your flags on damp astro-turf in running shoes--I'm going down; yeah, ankle's don't turn that way... good, no popping sound... walk it off--okay, limp off the field with assistance and see if you can play later. It is strange when you hear the waiting men's teams and spectators on the side lines give their exclamations and looking up to see your vision ringed by your team and your opponents looking down on you. Hobbling to the side line, I pealed off my shoe, sock, and unwrapped the tight ace bandage. The ankle didn't swell anymore than it already was, I could still move it and massaging it well for 10 min was all it needed for me to put my weight back on it and walk and hop on it. Wrapping the bandage tighter and slipping on my sock, I laced up my shoes and got to join in for the second half of the game. Since us and the hospital were the only commands who participated in women's flag foot ball, we took first place! How about that?! I had lots of fun, but I could tell that this was a game we needed to win, the team was tired and a bit tense and the levity that was pervasive on Monday, wasn't as apparent this time. By winning this game we closed out flag football session of the Captian's Cup. Good thing, 'cause tomorrow is the beginning of the base gearing up for Halloween and all the different groups on and off base are having their shin-digs before CFAY has their's. SMASH MOUTH is comming on the 30 for a free concert... we are very excited!

A funny thing--or is it an ironic thing--about the end of this game was the full out smoke break some of the Hospital team players were having. I thought it was some of the spectators at first whiff. I am ending this post now, my foot is thoroughly iced and the Unfortunates are in bed. It is me time and the next episode to ROME season II is calling my name along with my pillow... I think my pillow is winning out. The Pictures are courtesy of CrazyOne and Eldest Unfortunates.

No comments: