20 October 2008

Mommy Time!


I finally got to get outside and play with the other big kids--girls to be exact. I got to help whip Hospital chick butt this evening in the Captain's Cup female flag football games. The Captain's Cup is an on-going event that all the commands (as far as I know) participate in here on base. Through out the year, different sporting events are set and each command rustles up the required number of bodies (regardless of skill) and sign's up.
(Often the other way around--"Hey, you play soccer?" Asks the guy with the clipboard while walking down the pea way. "Yea, I do," says hapless sailor passing by him. "Great.". Two days later hapless sailor is told during morning announcements, he's apart of the ship's soccer team. Voluntolds are alive and well.)
Commands' earn points for participation and get extra points for winning. Anyone apart of the command--active duty and dependent-- can participate. So while the ship is out the sea, personnel left behind and dependents can fill in the gap. Since our ship is out, a good number of dependent wives got together to play and cheer. We found out that we could participate in the games, no thanks to the guy in charge of this stuff on the ship. Anyway, we found out that our ship could take 3rd place over all for women's participation at the awards later this year. Thinking back to high school and the fun I had playing flag football, I was game for the challenge. And we can't let some shore command take that unchallenged. It was lots of fun and the jerseys with the tuck-in shirt rule had us all feeling quite sexy. We won 12-0. Hopefully we win our next game this Wednesday.

I am now typing with my right foot up wrapped in a towel with a cold gel pack, up on the computer desk. Note to self: don't wear hot-out-the-box, brand-spankin-new, foot correction inserts when playing sports. I rolled my ankel five minutes into yesterday's prctice... yeah, I'm the special one. I spent all night and today pampering it, which did pay off 'cause I got to play off and on in over half the game with it only well wrapped. Only the outside area around the boney nob is swollen. The pictures of the game are courtesy Eldest Unfortunate.

Now that I have finished the dinner I started 50min before the game and posted to you here, I gotta go and put some heathens to bed, then watch Rome season II episode 5.

Venimus, Vicimus!

No comments: