24 July 2008

California Dreamin...


... On such a winter's day... I know, I know, we are not on that other side of the world; but we really are missin' Cali. It is in the little things we do and see; the feel of a breeze, the look of the day, the smell of place, the laugh of another, a situation you find yourself in, ... you know those things, the bits-n-pieces of what makes a memory really a memory. I keep it to myself so not to upset the Posse and we have another round of "I wish we...," Cheaah, I tell ya, this move has been the hardest.

Could it be the Unfortunates are old enough this time to really put up a stink? Or is it that I have not out-sourced them enough through the friends we did make over here, as you can see in the pictures... (child labor... isn't it cute when they are working for a cause? This was to help their friend earn some extra dough for a Nintendo DS game Animal Crossing) Perhaps I didn't put my kids in enough activities... or have I put them in too much? Or is it that we know that they are staying and we have left? Or... is it that we have made good friends and are distraught to have them out of our lives for now?






Yes, I miss it. I learned a lot about myself, the Unfortunates, Sailorman, neighbors... Ms Puerto Rico, Senorita and their Men folk. The Jetsetter's down the cul'd'sac. Miz Mary and her Fur Babies. Getting stuffed at the Jones' and their SWEET car. That Frenchguy and the lovely Ms. Dean and their short squatter who have made a place in our hearts. Yet, if it wasn't for a big nudge from Sailorman, I would not have walked into the Dojo and found far more than just a work out for this body and mind... I found some friends. Julie-san (she's aaaah-sum), Lady Ky and her Entourage (yeah, it's that obvious, you got game girl! Wish we could have hung out more), The Entourage... ye-yah, if you have to think about it, then you are apart of the crew--I miss you all too. Musicman--don't rent him out the way I did... then again if I hadn't, there is much I would not of learned of the human inside the guy I train with on the mat. The Proud Owners (cool souls who are also apart of my serious mentors on/off the mat) of the frame shop down the street (they can even frame and hang children too... okay that sounds just awesome... eah, it's all in the friends I make),


Sensei-cake (Crazyone still can't articulate as to why she calls Sensei that.. could've been an Akimite class I missed... or one of the many times we were at the Dojo along with Sensei), Sensei Mr. Manstache (Sailorman is quite envious of the mighty mustache. Each morning he shaves, he sends up a prayer to the gods of Testosterone to bless his face with such a testostronian feat), Sensei Jedi (one day your mind trick will not phase me... whatever, but I am up for the challenge!), Sensei Singing-Jo (really kicking myself for not fitting in some of those classes, it would give me something to do Aikido-wise). Then there are all the souls I met on the mat in brief and at length. I miss The Nooners, Stuff Your Centers and the mat.





I miss my walks in the morning with our grey babies along the coast with sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions... the fog, market days, selling at the market--meeting the people of the town, getting to be apart of a non transient town--that was hard, but it was a way of life that am happy to have had the chance to live in. All in all--we have our moments here, some days are harder pressed than others, but we are better for it and we have a right to once in a while sing of our California Dreamin'

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My.....My grand daughters working so hard, could you send them to Me at least twice a month, I'll feed them well and keep clean? Just kidding! Love every one of you, and you too daughter of Mine!

Sapphira, your beautiful love, I wish I could have been there to watch you recieve your first Communion. Remember your Ma'am-ma is always with you in spirit.

Imperviouschild said...

You like my "outsourcing" of the girls? I figured in this day and age, saying pimping out, would be too offensive for those with frail constitutions. Lol!!! If I can finagle a cheep way to send them to you then I would! The crate and live-animal way costs more than just flying them.. damn. Oh, and Sapphira say thank you. She wishes you were there too.

Anonymous said...

Imp, i love your blog. It's a delight to read. I sent the link to my daughter too. Her younguns are 11, 9 and 5.

Love, min

Imperviouschild said...

Minna Minna!!! TOO COOL! You are the third person to post here. Thanks for coming by and sharing this place with your flock. Hope to see you soon at your place... I might have to open a new account for Yuku, we shall see...n-noooooooooo

Michelle said...

Ah, Min beat me here! lol

You have beautiful kids, Imp.

I feel your pain - reading that I got all teary. I haven't moved far, but we've moved house six times in five years, plus I moved across the world to get here - Scotland.

I'd thought I'd reached a stage where I was over Africa, but this month has been hard again - the weather here this June was exactly like it was in Africa in December. I've caught myself humming Christmas carols, thinking of people long gone... just "blaaah" :-(

Plus our last home move (April this year) was a stinker and took us out of the town we love and into a new area we're not keen on. Some days I stand by the bedroom window and just feel... lost. :-|

Some days it's good. THe area is nicer than we thought and the new neighbours are actually more friendly. It is balancing out, but now and then I have a good wallow in self-pity when I'm alone.

And I so get the pet thing! A lot of rentals here are no pets, no smokers, but even worse - I've seen no kids houses too. Geez! I can get the fact that some kids are destructive, but to tell renters they can't have a life at all because they rent? I could really get onto the soap box on that topic!

Side note - we're situated between two airforce bases. THe noise can be mind-boggling (we're near the end of the one runway), but it is exciting and it makes the area more cosmopolitan with lots of overseas folk based here. That I do like too. I can get overseas stuff at the local supermarket because they cater wotld worldwide tastes. :-)


Can I add you to my blog roll or are you wanting to stay private?

Imperviouschild said...

CROW!!! I am sooo giddy right now with all the attention from those I know... okay, I know, I know... but my peanut gallery has grown nearly over-night from one faithful commentator, to four... I could just do a jig!
I remember when you moved to my lastname's mother land (and I have to just say this since I already know Sailorman will, "If it ain't Scottish, its crap!") What a place you reside now I can only imagine the noise. I too have seen the "no kids," Frustrating when you are looking with kids for a place. Seems to me as if you have found a place that is with good souls. Just keep your head up when those down'n blue moments arrive and hang on to the solid... helps keep your footing, or when you lose that, helps you back on our feet again.
Oh, and yes you can add me to your blog roll--Thankyou!

Michelle said...

:-)Thanks for the good advice, Imp. ((hug))

Actually the noise is ok. I mean... we like it. Weird, I know! Mostly it's big sea planes and jets doing practice and the noise is deep and roaring. I find it comforting. Now motorbikes that zzzzzzzzzz past like manic mosquitos are a completely different story! I could happily squash every nasal whiney motorbike engine!

It's kind of exciting too, living with planes and jets looping over you.

PS - My first serious boyfriend was a sailorman. Oh those uniforms! *sigh* I'm a sucker for a man in uniform. :-))

Imperviouschild said...

*mmmmmm* Men in Uniform...

Unknown said...

*Grinz in thought.....men in uniforms, leather, chains, oh my, ....sorry got carried away there.

Imperviouschild said...

I want the leather! He can keep the uniform.